Friday, January 27, 2006

It's like I'm 15!

So, this is quite embarrassing. But why not note this on the blog? I am not, what one would call "up" on music. I've been a film geek for so long that I've been spending most of my time listening to various film scores. Yeah. I am tunnel-visioned and feel an appropriate amount of shame about this.

In the interest of broadening my percpetions of the world, I sat down with Tara's copy of Sgt. Pepper the other day and, whoops, it's almost immediatley clear to me that this is pretty awesome, I've gone my whole life, and I've never really given The Beatles an appropriate amount of attentions. Oh boy. Big mistake.

Now I'm going to try and go through their discography in order. It's embarassing, though, to admit that you've never really listened to The Beatles with anything approaching interest... like admitting one hasn't read a Shakespeare play or something. I suppose some people might be proud of that, but I was raised to believe that certain things are required. This is one of them.

Anyway, I suppose in a few months I'll discover The Doors. But the worst part of this will probably be discovering Pink Floyd.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

brother,
I think you should start with rubber soul ad move forward, then go back to the earlier recording. After this you'll be be ready for SWV (sistas with voices). They pretty much picked up where the beatles left off.

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee. That's funny. Just last week I picked up "Revolver" from the Public Library in an attempt to "really listen to" the Beatles. I'd heard that was one of their best ones. (I loved it!)
-Terri Beth in CT

7:32 AM  
Blogger John Dedeke said...

Don't feel bad. I've never heard a Beatles record, either.

Of course, I've also never seen a movie, so I'm out of it on a lot of fronts.

10:22 PM  
Blogger DMW said...

John - I thought you closed your eyes in Roy's class, but I never really knew for sure. I don't understand you TV generation kids.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home