Thursday, March 09, 2006

Brokeback Something

I'm an unabashed fan of Brokeback Mountain, no bones about it. There's a moment in it that makes me unbelievably happy, though it's part of a rather wrenching scene. I was delighted to see it was featured on the Oscars at one point. Heath Ledger is at his ex-wife's house and she is telling him that she knows what's going on with regard to his "fishing trips." After she's made it clear that she knows, she goes on to say, "Jack Twist..... Jack Nasty."

For all the joking about two cowboys fucking, this moment really hasn't been capitalized on enough for all the "I'm uncomfortable so I'll laugh" style comedy surrounding Brokeback. For my money, I think it's a great line, absurd as it may be. In my experience, people say really absurd things when their emotions are in overdrive. And it does make me chuckle for the reasons mentioned above. And if the movie had focused on Michelle Williams's character, perhaps there would have been a scene later in the film where she says to herself, "Jack Nasty? Why did I say that?"

I haven't seen this other movie called Crash that just won Best Picture at the Oscarifics, but I find this comment from David Cronenberg (regarding the fact that he himself earlier made a film called Crash) pretty humorous.

From The Toronto Star

"The whole Crash thing has been very annoying. I've let Haggis know that as well," Cronenberg said. "It's not a legal issue, it's an ethical issue. And also I think it's just plain stupid."

1 Comments:

Blogger Tibetan Underworld said...

Hahahaha, someone sounds bitter.

I havent seen A History of Violence yet, but I have seen Crash and thought it was a very good film. It borders on preachy, but its an important message and its well executed.

Besides, I'm a sucker for interweaving story lines.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home