Monday, May 08, 2006

Prediction

I haven't seen Mission Impossible 3 yet, but I have listened to Michael Giacchino's score. My prediction: I think we're going to start hearing Track 12, Bridge Battle in trailers before too long. It's intense, got the kind of build that trailer-cutters love, and it's so rhythmic as to be super-easy to piece together different parts of it to accomodate the pace of the spot. Look out trailer watchers! This could be the next Bishop's Countdown!

Well, you, um, heard it here first!

Anyway, the score is good fun, though, on a first (super-casual) listen it doesn't seem to have much of an identity other than appealing retroisms. Giacchino is great at pulling off this modernistic faux-60s sound (somehow he manages to write music that contains both the excitement of something new as well as the feeling that one has heard this music before and liked it [most film music, at best, contains the latter for me and not the former]), as his score to The Incredibles also demonstrated, but in both cases I can't help but feel a little undernourished.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.asp?threadID=34156&forumID=1

Much Giacchino debates going on these days. I think Lukas Kendall is pretty on the money with his comment. (see above link)

Admittedly I don't own a Giacchino score (!) but his writing for the MEDAL OF HONOR video game series is a fun listen, all Williams knock-off stuff of course.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home