Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Back in the Saddle

I've started writing a screenplay. I wrote a little last night. I'm not really comfortable talking about what it is or what it's about in this webspace. It's enough, I think, for me to share that it is. I will say it's the first idea I've had in years that I feel I absolutely have to write. The first idea that feels like I am the only one who can write this thing. It felt good to sit down with it last night, but it having been, oh, 4 years or so since I've written something of personal significance, of my own volition (that is, not at the behest of someone else), and with every intent of finishing the damn thing within my lifetime, I was frozen at first by a million little insecurities. Mostly, I was afraid that, being so out of practice, I was not up to the challenge of doing this grand idea of mine justice. That, through writing, I would destroy it.

I got through this large block with a helpful suggestion from Tara. She suggested that, before I engage in writing my pet project, I write a short, one-page piece as terribly as I wanted. This proved to be both fun and spirit-lifting enough that I was able to break through the freeze ray that had settled on me. At the risk of being aphoristic, I remembered after I wrote this stupid little thing for a page that I, personally, enjoy having something awful come out of me than nothing at all.

As I plan on writing this script until I finish a draft and I'd like to share as much of the process as I'm comfortable with on this blog, I present here the 1 page free-write that so buoyed my spirits. Enjoy.




JAKE
I haven't done anything so stupid as this before.

ANDY
What are you talking about?

JAKE
Well this is stupid. My finger is in my hair.

ANDY
You put it there.

JAKE
Yeah but now I'm missing a finger on my hand.

ANDY
That's indicative of stupidity?

JAKE
Look (tries to point, sees the spot where his finger should be stops). Never mind.

ANDY
You were going to make a point. What was it?

JAKE
I was just going to say that it's not worth it to me that my finger is my hair when it could very well be on my hand. It does more shit there. It makes me happy there.

ANDY
I hate it when you stand on ceremony.

JAKE
Tough.

ANDY
I understand I don't have to like it. But you don't have to insist on it.

JAKE
Your honesty is befuddling. Frankly, I find it hard to care when my pointing finger is in my hair. I find it hard to stand on ceremony when my finger is in my hair.

ANDY
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Herr Finger.

JAKE
That's offensive. I have a German Shepherd.

2 Comments:

Blogger M. Gants v4.0 said...

Guten spiel Herr Potato. Short and funny - I like it.

Don't get too hung up on creating one giant, perfect masterpiece. I think a bunch of smaller iterations on an idea will bring you closer to your goal and allow you to experiment along the way.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Nick Teab, M.D. said...

I thought it was great up till 'It makes me happy there.' Then it broke mood for mine. Jarmuschy.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home